Playing with LEGO® is great but there is one part that we LEGO® enthusiasts never look forward to and that’s picking the bricks up at the end, this is where a LEGO® Vacuum Sorter or LEGO® Brick Sorter comes in!
Using a LEGO® Vacuum Sorter or LEGO® Brick Sorter you can not only pick up your bricks with ease but they will also be organized by size in the process too.
In this post we will take a look at both inventions and the pros/cons of each, we will also take a look at other great ways to easily sort your LEGO® bricks too.
1. LEGO Vacuum Sorters and Brick Sorters are great innovative solutions for sorting your LEGO bricks.
2. There are other ways to sort and store your LEGO bricks, such as a LEGO sorting bin, SlideAway holder, Stackable storage hobby boxes, Storage Head sorter, or tubs/containers.
3. If you use coding systems and manage your inventory with websites like Bricklink you can easily find which container has the piece you want inside it.
4. It is important to have an efficient method of sorting your LEGO bricks in order to save time and energy when building MOCs or playing around with them.
5. With the right knowledge of various methods of sorting and storing LEGO bricks, you can finally get the organized LEGO collection you’ve always dreamed of.
What’s Best? LEGO Vacuum Sorter or LEGO® Brick Sorter
Struggling to decide between the LEGO® Vacuum Sorter or LEGO® Brick Sorter?
The Vacuum Sorter provides easy pickup of bricks but isn’t always practical due to its suction. The Brick Sorter is a great alternative; it can be made to any size and doesn’t require a vacuum cleaner. Plus, you can wall or table mount it for convenience and it’s cheaper to produce too!
I think that the LEGO® Vacuum Sorter is a great innovative invention but to me, it’s more of a gadget providing more style than function.
The breakthrough reasons why a Brick Sorter is the better option:
- It can be made to any size you want, you can make it work to the amount of available space you have
- It doesn’t require a vacuum cleaner to be on hand
- You can wall or table mount it so you can actually just use it whilst you are building your LEGO® if you wanted
- It is cheaper to produce as you don’t need to use any expensive tools such as 3D printers
What Is a LEGO Vacuum Sorter
A LEGO Vacuum Sorter is an automated sorting system that uses air pressure and suction to sort LEGO® elements into designated containers. It is designed for those who want to speed up the process of organizing their bricks, allowing them to spend more time creating amazing LEGO creations.
With its adjustable settings and easy-to-use interface, it is the perfect choice for those who want a quick and efficient way to organize their LEGO stash. The suction power is strong enough to sort through large numbers of pieces quickly, making it an ideal solution for larger collections.
What Is a LEGO® Brick Sorter
A LEGO® Brick Sorter is a wonderful contraption for any LEGO® fan. It quickly and easily sorts your pieces into the correct bin, saving you time from having to search through piles of bricks and separate them with your own two hands.
With the help of a brick sorter, you’ll be able to find that elusive piece in no time! Not only that, it can even save up space in your home by reducing clutter as all pieces will be stored neatly in designated bins. And if you’re feeling extra ambitious, you could also use it to create masterpieces out of your old LEGO® pieces – just like a real artist!
LEGO® Vacuum Sorter vs LEGO® Brick Sorter Pros and Cons
LEGO® Vacuum Sorter Pros and Cons
Below are the pros and cons of a LEGO Vacuum Sorter.
LEGO® Vacuum Sorter Pros
- Can be designed for any vacuum
- Quickly pick up any loose bricks
- Easily sort your bricks by size
- Sections are held together by magnets so you can easily empty each section
- Potential to make it bigger than 4 sections
- Potential to have multiple sections with the same-sized holes
- Different sections can be made with bigger or smaller holes
LEGO® Vacuum Sorter Cons
- Some pieces do not fall all the way through if it doesn’t hit one of the holes
- There is a limit to how much you can suck up
- Requires access to a 3D printer to make
- As more bricks are sucked up the sorting will become less successful
- Would require frequent shaking or emptying to effectively use the sorter
LEGO® Brick Sorter Pros and Cons
Below are the pros and cons of a LEGO Brick Sorter.
LEGO® Brick Sorter Pros
- Can be made bigger than this version if required
- Wall or table mountable for ease of use
- LEGO® bricks fall through the LEGO® Brick Sorter into a container
- Do not have to dismantle the LEGO® Brick Sorter to get the LEGO® bricks out
- Can be designed at a fairly low cost
- Can be designed in any color
LEGO Brick Sorter Cons
- Small surface area meaning you can only sort a small amount at a time
- Requires you to shake the LEGO® Brick Sorter to get it to sort your LEGO® bricks
How Do You Make a LEGO® Vacuum Sorter?
After reading and watching Unnecessary Inventions LEGO® Vacuum Sorter is now feeling like you need to make something of your own. Perhaps you are more interested in making your own LEGO® Sorter?
LEGO® Vacuum Sorter By Unnecessary Inventions Video
LEGO® Vacuum Sorter invented By Unnecessary Inventions Info
The LEGO® Vacuum Sorter invented by Unnecessary Inventions is a simple but effective way to clear up your loose LEGO® bricks and minifigures.
This LEGO® Vacuum Sorter is made up of 4 sections, each section has been divided using plates that have different-sized holes that only allow certain types of bricks and pieces to pass through.
Let’s cover the pros and cons.
If you are interested in learning more about Unnecessary Inventions LEGO® Vacuum Sorter you can watch their YouTube video below.
How Do You Make a LEGO® Brick Sorter?
Unlike the LEGO® Vacuum Sorter, this method does not rely on a vacuum cleaner to create a suction to pick up your LEGO® bricks.
DIY LEGO® Brick Sorter by I Like To Make Stuff Video
LEGO® Brick Sorter invented By I Like To Make Stuff Info
This LEGO® Brick Sorter requires you to put the bricks manually in the top of the sorter and then give it a gentle shake to move the bricks around to fall through the holes.
Even though you have to manually put the LEGO® bricks on the top of the sorter there is a potential that this actually makes the sorting process easier, this is especially the case if you mount it to the side of your table.
Alternate Ways to Sort Your LEGO Bricks
The LEGO® Vacuum Sorter and LEGO® Brick Sorters are great innovative ways to sort LEGO® but if you aren’t a DIY type person then don’t worry as there are lots of other ways to sort and store your LEGO® bricks.
Here are some ideas I have personally used and found to be an effective way to keep your LEGO® bricks in order.
There are a few types of LEGO® Sorting Bins you can get, which one you pick really just depends on your intention of sorting your LEGO® bricks.
1. LEGO Sorting Bin
Having a LEGO sorting bin is like having an extra pair of hands in the house. It’s your one-stop shop for all your LEGO organization needs. With just a few simple steps, you can use the LEGO sorting bin to quickly and easily sort through any pile of small or large pieces and fit them into their designated slots.
Simply place the desired number of bricks into each compartment, then put on the lid – it’s that easy! The sorting bin takes care of all the hard work for you; helping you save time and energy by efficiently organizing your LEGO collection in no time at all.
2. LEGO SlideAway Holder To Sort Bricks
If you are just looking for a convenient way to play and pack away your LEGO® bricks this product is amazing.
With this product, all you have to do is keep the LEGO® on the pull-out sheet and then once you are finished just pick it up and slide the LEGO® bricks back in the holder… as simple as that.
3. LEGO Stackable Storage Hobby Boxes For Sorting
This method does take longer to do but once you are done you will really reap the benefit of being organized.
If you are into designing your own LEGO® MOCs for example it is really crucial that you can find the LEGO® bricks you need as quickly as possible, otherwise you will spend hours just finding the bricks you need… that is if you even have the one you need.
These types of storage are also great to work in tandem with the DIY LEGO® Sorter solutions that we covered earlier. Just sort the LEGO® bricks and then store them appropriately.
4. LEGO Storage Head Sorter
The LEGO® Storage Head is a fun way to store your LEGO® bricks, the biggest downside to this type of storage however is it’s a nightmare to find anything you need without tipping the whole lot out.
5. Tubs and Containers To Sort LEGO® Bricks
This is a really simple way to sort and store your loose LEGO® bricks… tubs and containers.
I have used old yogurt pots, butter tubs, and ice cream tubs before. Basically, if it is a container it will work just fine.
Once you have your containers take a sharpie or another type of permanent pen and write on the side of the container identifying what is inside.
Remember if you think of a coding system and use a website like Bricklink to manage your inventory you can easily find which container has the piece you want inside it.
As you can see, there are several different ways to sort and store your LEGO® bricks. Whether you’re a DIY enthusiast or just looking for an easy way to keep your LEGO collection organized, each of these methods has its benefits and drawbacks. Whichever option you decide to use, the most important thing is that it works best for you and helps you keep your LEGO® bricks organized!