If you are confused about how to store your LEGO sets, or you just want to display them in a creative way, check out these LEGO shelf ideas! I have compiled some of the best LEGO shelf ideas that will completely transform your room. Whoever comes to your room will be in complete awe when […]
How to Easily Clean Your LEGO Bricks
LEGO Bricks are great to play with and you can easily enjoy the experience of bringing all kinds of cool ideas to life with them. But just like anything in your home, these LEGO Bricks can accumulate dust, dirt and grime on them. That means they can be a germ-riddled place and you have to find the right way to clean these properly. Which does make you wonder, how can you actively clean the LEGO Bricks properly? Here you have a list of tips and tricks to help you get started.
What do you need in order to clean your LEGO Bricks?
The first thing you want to have is a brick separator. This allows you to separate bricks from a set and clean them individually, so it’s a must-have. You also need to have a large plastic bin and a mild dish detergent as well. A soft cloth or sponge can also be great, which is something to keep in mind. A small mesh bag or plastic bin can also help. You will also need towel and a fan, since using the hairdryer can actually damage your LEGO Bricks without any way to repair them adequately.
How much time does the cleaning process take for LEGO Bricks?
It all comes down to how many LEGO Bricks you have. If you have a small number of bricks, then it will mostly require 20 to 30 minutes, but it can also take multiple hours. It’s important to separate all the bricks and ensure that you are able to clean them individually. This way you can be 100% sure everything is ok, and you fully cleaned everything without a problem. It’s a very good approach and an amazing idea that will make things easier all the time. It’s definitely going to pay off very well, especially if you do it right.
Steps to follow if you are hand washing your LEGO Bricks:
- As we mentioned earlier, everything needs to be disassembled so you can handle every piece individually. Yes, it’s more time-consuming this way, but it will surely pay off and convey lots of value every time. Which is exactly what you need to take into consideration as much as possible.
- Use alcohol wipes so you can wipe the delicate or electrical parts. This includes things like the street lamps, light bricks or the light kit accessories. You do want to keep the stickers on there because it’s a lot harder to assemble without knowing where everything goes. Scrub these pieces with towels and dry wipes. Using a soft bristle brush or toothbrush to remove any dust from hard to reach corners is a very good idea, so try to keep that in mind.
- Now that you handled the water sensitive pieces, you do want to put all the non-water-sensitive pieces near you and start cleaning them. Add lukewarm water into a bowl and then include some mild detergent or soap, then dip the units properly. Stir them gently.
- At this point, you want to add ½ or ¼ vinegar to the water, since it can help. It will sanitize them and remove the smell, which is extremely important to keep in mind. It’s a good idea to keep the bricks inside for up to 15 minutes. If the water is murky, then you may want to replace it with a fresh solution.
- Ideally, you want to rub any pieces that are prone to scratching, just so you can avoid any possible problems. On top of that, you do want to remove grime with some toothpicks or the toothbrush. Transferring the bricks to strainer or colander and rinsing them properly is important. The wet pieces need to be placed right side up on the dry towel, leave the fan running so it can speed up the cleaning process and make it a lot more efficient.
Can you clean LEGO Bricks with the washing machine?
Ideally, you want to clean your LEGO Bricks manually. But we don’t all have time to do that and that’s the reason why we may want to use the washing machine to make things a bit quicker and easier. This is ok if the pieces are new, but if they are old, you will encounter disfigurement and tumbling, so take that as a word of warning.
- Add all the pieces you want to wash either in a laundry bag or a pillowcase. This is important because the cloth/mesh will prevent any tumbling. Of course, you want to close the mouth of that pillowcase or laundry bag with its zipper or a rubber band.
- If you want to use the washing machine for cleaning LEGO Bricks, you always need to stick to the gentlest wash mode. Cold water is recommended too, don’t go with hot water can be problematic. Adding some mild laundry detergent powder is a good idea. Or you can go with liquid wash if you want.
- After you set the mode, start the cleaning process and then come back, place them on a dry towel. The room needs to be well ventilated, because it will help with the drying process, and that’s certainly something you need to take into account as much as possible. With that being said, you don’t want to use the hair dryer or any source of heat, since it can be very problematic. It might take up to 2 days or even more based on the humidity level.
Cleaning your LEGO Bricks is not very difficult, and there are multiple methods that you can try out. It’s all a matter of figuring out what approach works for you and where you are getting the best value. Yes, there are obvious challenges that can arise, and you will be very happy with the benefits and results in the long run. Take your time, learn how to complete this cleaning process adequately, and in the end you will be very impressed with the experience. Just take your time, avoid any rush, and the payoff will be well worth it!